Freeze Protection Valves
NEW VALVE PROVIDES ULTIMATE IN FREEZE PROTECTION
Various systems on a passenger train require a water supply, from the buffet car to the carriage toilets. When a train is not in service (overnight), water left in the system can freeze, either damaging the system or preventing the train from being started. Components have been developed over the years to automatically drain the water when the train is out of service, if the temperature falls towards zero. Many of these systems are unreliable.
A rail operator had major reliability issues with the current freeze protection system on board their passenger trains. The existing solution was slow to respond to changes in temperature, was unreliable and difficult and time consuming to maintain.
The Norgren solution brings together expertise from Norgren and TA Heimeier (part of the IMI Group), and assures a reliable and constant performance over an increased lifetime. It is easy to maintain and provides lower energy consumption by using existing proven technology. It is more accurate than the existing solution by sensing the water temperature instead of the ambient temperature of the drain port.
- fits into the existing envelope
- is easy to maintain due to the cartridge design, can be replaced without disruption to the pipe work
- repeatable stable temperature set point over >10 years
- has a lower energy consumption (no heater required)
- the performance is independent of pressure variance
- utilises a rail proven reliable fluid solenoid valve